Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Space and Psalm 8

When I was a young warthog, I used to wonder about the stars (693k). Astronomy was interesting to me, but the vastness of the universe struck me as I stared up into the stars. I could not imagine being significant in the face of all that... space.

Speaking of space, here's more on the Martian Sundial.

Have you ever seen those "zoom-in" video clips, where a movie scene shows the earth getting closer, then a continent comes into view, then you go through clouds and arrive over a land mass, which looks like an aerial photo, then there are freeways, then streets, then buildings and houses and trees, and then it zooms in on a person? When I looked up at the night sky of stars as a young man, I thought of "zooming out" and the thought was overwhelming.

I was reading last night, and felt pulled to read from the Book of Psalms, and I read the following in Psalm 8:

When I look up at the heavens, which your fingers made, and see the moon and the stars, which you set in place, I think, "Of what importance is the human race, that you should notice them? Of what importance is mankind, that you should pay attention to them..."
Yet we are each significant. Is that not amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment